Abstracted by Patricia Ibbotson
The Eloise Cemetery was used for burials of patients from 1910 to 1948. There were about 7100 burials in the cemetery during this time period. Only numbered markers are on these graves. The patients died in the Eloise (Psychiatric) Hospital, the Wm. J. Seymour (General)Hospital and the Infirmary, and their remains were not claimed by family or friends. In many cases, there is a delay of several days from time of death to time of burial which was probably due to the fact that the hospital officials were attempting to contact relatives. Also included in this compilation are unclaimed bodies that were sent to the Wayne County Morgue, the University of Michigan, and the Detroit College of Medicine/Wayne University College of Medicine. These records were from the actual death certificates on file at the Burton Historical Collection of the Detroit Public Library. There were only four extant death records for 1934. Abstracted were name, sex, race, marital status, date of birth or age if no date of birth, place of death, date and cause of death, date of burial and/or disposition if other than Eloise Cemetery.